We take your privacy seriously
For the purposes of the Data Protection Act 1998, the Association for European Transport (AET) is the data controller (the organisation who is responsible for, and controls the processing of, your personal data).
Personal data we may collect about you
We will obtain personal data about you (such as your company name or business address, personal name, email address, etc.) whenever you complete an online form.
For example, we will obtain your personal data when you register to use this website, send us feedback, post material, contact us for any reason, book as a delegate at Conference, submit an Abstract, use our site, fill in your profile details, etc. We may obtain sensitive personal data about you if you volunteer it during the completion of an online form. If you volunteer such information, you will be consenting to our processing.
We may monitor your usage of this website. This may include monitoring how many times you visit, which pages you go to, traffic data, location data and the originating domain name of a user's internet service provider. This information helps us to build a profile of our users. Some of this data will be aggregated or statistical, which means that we will not be able to identify you individually. Please refer to our Cookies Policy for more information.
How we may use your personal data
We will use your personal data only for the purposes intended when it was given to us as amended by your subsequent use of our site. These purposes include:
- to help us identify you and any accounts you hold with us
- statistical analysis
- customer, member and user profiling and analysing your preferences
- marketing (see "Marketing and opting out" below)
- fraud prevention and detection
- billing and order fulfilment
- credit scoring and credit checking (see "Credit checking" below)
- customising this website and its content to your particular preferences
- to notify you any changes to this website or our services which may affect you
- security vetting and user authentication
- improving our services, website optimisation and usage.
Marketing and opting out
Unless you have asked us not to do so, we may contact you about services and special offers which may be of interest to you.
This site is specifically related to the services we offer, in particular to events that we manage. We therefore will market these events to you from time to time.
If you prefer not to receive any further marketing communications from us, you can opt out at any time. See further "Your rights" below.
Disclosure of your personal data
We may disclose your personal data:
- to law enforcement agencies in connection with any investigation to help prevent unlawful activity, as is required by law
- in the event that AET's assets and goodwill are subsequently transferred to a third party
- to other members and users of this site, in line with the preferences you authorise on this site
- to our agents and service providers as required to deliver the services we are contracted to provide.
Keeping your data secure
We will use technical and organisational measures to safeguard your personal data. These measures include:
- access to your account is controlled by password and username which are unique to you
- your personal data are stored on secure servers
- our servers and hosting is PCI-DSS compliant
- payment details are encrypted using SSL technology.
Whilst we will use all reasonable efforts to safeguard your personal data, you acknowledge that the use of the internet is not entirely secure and for this reason we cannot guarantee the security or integrity of any personal data which are transferred from you or to you via the internet.
Information about other individuals
If you give us information on behalf of someone else, you confirm that the other person has appointed you to act on his/her behalf and has agreed that you can:
- give consent on his/her behalf to the processing of his or her personal data
- receive on his/her behalf any data protection notices
- give consent to the transfer of his/her personal data abroad
- give consent to the processing of his or her personal data.
In addition, through this site, you may have access to the personal and professional data of other users and members of AET. You agree, on your behalf and on behalf of any third party for whom you are authorised to give consent as above, to use this data responsibly. This includes:
- not using data supplied on this site for marketing or spam, or for any other commercial purposes without first obtaining the permission of the data owner
- not selling or disclosing the data available on this site to any third party at any time
- not using the data on this site for personal bullying, harassment, discrimination, hate, threatening or offensive behaviour.
This behaviour, and other behaviour not mentioned above, may be a criminal offense and reported to law enforcement agencies by us or the data owner.
Transfers of data out of the EEA
We may need to transfer your personal data outside of the European Economic Area (the 'EEA'). Any transfer of your data will be subject to a European Commission approved contract which will safeguard your privacy rights and give you remedies in the unlikely event of a security breach.
The EEA consists of a political and economic treaty union comprising all European Union Member States, Norway, Iceland and Lichtenstein.
You have the right, subject to the payment of a small fee (currently £10), to request access to personal data which we may process about you. If you wish to exercise this right you should:
- put your request in writing to the address below
- include proof of your identity and address (e.g. a copy of your driving licence or passport, and a recent utility or credit card bill)
- attach a cheque in the amount of £10 made payable to Association for European Transport
- specify the personal data you want access to, including any account, username or reference numbers where applicable.
You have the right to require us to correct any inaccuracies in your data free of charge. If you wish to exercise this right you should:
- Make sure that you are unable to correct the inaccuracies yourself on our website
- put your request in writing
- provide us with enough information to identify you (e.g. account number, username, registration details)
- specify the information that is incorrect and how it should be corrected.
You also have the right to ask us to stop processing your personal data for direct marketing purposes. If you wish to exercise this right you should log into your profile and update your preferences to indicate that you wish to opt out of direct marketing.
If you are not a registered user and have provided your details to receive our newsletter, you may email us or write to us and ask to opt out of direct marketing.
Our contact details
If you wish to contact us, please send an email via our online contact form or to email@example.com. You can send written communcations to our registered office at Forester House, Doctors Lane, Henley-in-Arden, B95 5AW, United Kingdom.